Wednesday, December 8, 2010

2 in 34

Since I never posted about the Marine Corp Marathon, because I am a totally blog slacker, I am going to recap both marathons.(Well, I will recap as much as I can remember.)

On October 31, I ran The Marine Corp Marathon in Washington D.C. it was my first of two full marathons.

Ken and I flew out early Friday morning so we could spend a few days in D.C. and turn the whole trip into a mini vacation with Dianna and Will. Friday afternoon the four of us went to the race expo to pick up race packets and it allowed Dianna and I to buy lots of running “essentials” that we just had to have.   

Friday night Ken and I met up with Ken’s sister (Tami) to take a night tour of the monuments with about 120 eighth-graders.  We spent most of Saturday taking in the sights of D.C. and getting swept up in the Sanity vs. Fear rally (it probably the best people watching I have ever seen.) 

Sunday morning can and it was marathon day. The race seems like a blur. There are some miles I remember very clearly and then some miles I don’t remember at all.  I know both Diana and I crossed the finish line. I know we both accomplished something that most people never even attempt and I know I am still so incredibly proud of both of us. 


34 days later…Diana and I were at it again.  This time it was White Rock Marathon and we were running with Team In Training. The week leading up to the marathon was hard, I had zero excitement do it all over again. I wanted to run and I knew I was running for a my Honored Hero Jim and all the other TNT Honored Heroes but I was missing all of the giddiness I felt when I ran MCM.  The nerves were back in full force and deep down I wanted to run I was just questioning my ability. My runs the week before White Rock were awful! I couldn’t find my rhythm and everything hurt. During a 2 mile run I just stopped, turned around, threw a temper tantrum and started walking home (seriously you can ask Ken he was there.) 

When the alarm went off Sunday morning I was feeling good, I was ready, I knew I would be fine and I would finish. That morning was cold. My teammates and I huddled in our coral for warmth contemplating if we had enough "disposable" clothing. 

Then the gun went off...and we waited and waited some more finally at 8:30 we crossed the start line. The first few miles hurt, my toes were numb from the cold and it hurt every time my foot hit the ground. Finally around mile 3, I had warmed up and found my comfort zone. I lost Dianna around mile 5 when I had to exchange my relay bracelet but found her around mile 7. (Side note: Ken ran the second leg of the White Rock Relay and he did an amazing job! I am so proud of him!!) Dianna and I were making great time and feeling pretty good. We saw my friend Lisa with all her signs at mile 15 (thank you, Lisa!  You are amazing!) We grabbed some much needed snacks and fuel from Ken and Will at mile 16.  

At mile 20 I got to the point where I thought the race was never going to end. Every mile maker I saw was a mile behind where I thought I was. I lost Dianna again around mile 22. My entire left leg started hurting from my butt down into my calf around mile 24 and I started walking.  I walked for a few minutes then I would talk myself back into running. Then I would stop and walk a few more minutes. Around mile or 25 I heard someone yelling my name behind me. I turned around to see Dianna! It was probably the best feeling I had all race.  Once I saw her I knew I would be able to get through the last mile. We ran into our Team In Training coach, David, a little past mile 25. I burst into tears at this point. Not sure why, maybe it was the pain maybe it was the fact I knew I was finally done. We soon picked up Charlene, another TNT coach, who got us to mile 26 and then let us go on our own. Crossing the finish line was Awesome!! Getting a new shiny medal was amazing! Dianna and I totally ROCKED the rock! 


Will I do another marathon? Heck Yes, Chicago Marathon 2011 here I come! Will I do 2 marathons in 34 days?  Heck No!! 

1 comment:

  1. Love the post! And have totally loved having you as a running partner! I can't wait for all the races to come in 2011...I might be tagging along in Chicago...if you'll have me : )

    ReplyDelete